Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Noise Improvisations of Dry Eyes

First of all, the owner of Siccum Records = Dry Eyes = Me

I'd like to talk about the Noise Improvisations that are released frequently by me. Currently, there are 21 of these noise improvisations. Except for the white noise improvisation, these are all made by recording short sounds (around 10 seconds usually), then looping and crossfading them. This creates for each sample a continuous stream of sound, which is played back with other sounds which are given the same treatment. Then, in real time, the volumes of the samples are manipulated, creating different combinations of noises.

VST effects are applied to the stream of sound created, making for different soundscapes which evoke different mental states when listened to. Sometimes the sound is a calming drone, at other times, it can be quite harsh. Many rhythms play independently of each other, just like the rhythms of every day Real Life.

Often I find that when a copious amount of reverb is applied to the mess of sound, it creates what sounds like a train rushing through a tunnel. To me, this sound is hypnotizing, and I use this effect quite a bit.

This kind of musique concrète is for me a celebration of mundane things. The sounds are for the most part created using mundane objects, and I try to make each object shine in a beautiful way through sound manipulation. Making this music is very enjoyable because it turns anything that makes sound in the environment around me into a potential musical instrument that can be recorded.

Noise music to me is a way to make any sound beautiful; it is to me music, not "just" noise, or not "noise not music". Echoing the predictions of the Italian Futurists, modern technology has enabled us to turn any sound into music, and to me, noise is the future of music in this respect. I prefer to use mundane sounds, but noise is so great because literally anything can be used, and this freedom is a great thing for music.

If you listen closely, the universe is playing a noise performance to you; appreciating this and other noises leads to the appreciation of beauty in what actually exists in real life. In this respect, a noise album is like an extension of what the universe already does, and this is a great thing, in my view.

Anyways, if you want to hear my Noise Improvisations, check them out at http://dryeyes.bandcamp.com/

Also, check out the black and white photograph prints I have for sale too!

No comments:

Post a Comment